Are you concerned about the cold air coming in through your windows? Plantation shutters are a good way to keep your home cozy. They offer both energy efficiency and insulation that can help keep your home warmer.
In addition, they're a beautiful, classic window treatment! Nowadays, plantation shutters are available in all shapes, sizes and colors so it's easy to find something that matches your style. Let's talk more about how plantation shutters can make winter less chilly.
How Plantation Shutters Keep Your Home Cozy
Having the right window treatment can make a big difference in your comfort and energy costs.
Out of all the areas in your home, your windows are responsible for leaking the most heat during the winter. Single-pane windows with an aluminum frame lose the most energy. While double-pane windows with a wood or vinyl frame are better, they can still make your home feel chilly.
Here’s how plantation shutters can help stop heat loss during cold weather.
- They’re built from thick materials with a high R-value. This measurement calculates how well insulation stops heat from leaving or entering your home. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, wood shutters have an R-value of 3-4. That’s more than two times greater than blinds and nearly two times higher than shades. Polymer shutters rank at 6 or greater, making them one of the most energy-efficient window treatments. Because they’re so energy efficient, you may find your home feels comfier at a cooler temperature.
- They fit securely against your windows, creating an extra barrier. The way plantation shutters fit windows contributes to their high R-value. The highest quality ones are customized for your home to provide peak energy efficiency and comfort. Other window coverings, such as curtains, blinds and shades, don’t provide as secure of a fit.
- They fit unique windows. Some window shapes, like arches, circles and bay, are harder to cover. Because of this, their energy efficiency can be affected. But this isn’t the case with custom shutters, as they can be designed to fit nearly any window.
Other Ways to Make Your Home More Energy Efficient in Cold Weather
Having the correct window treatment makes a big difference in keeping your home cozy and heating bills low. Here are a few other ways you can save energy during cold weather:
- Take full advantage of natural warmth. Make the most of the sun’s heat by keeping south-facing window treatments open during the day and closed at nighttime.
- Keep your thermostat at the correct temperature. The Department of Energy recommends 68 degrees during daytime. When you’re gone or asleep, you can set your thermostat between 64-65 degrees. You can get rid of some of the guesswork and extra work by installing a smart thermostat. This device learns your temperature preferences and schedule, and then makes energy-efficient programming to match.
- Set ceiling fans to reverse. Warm air accumulates near the ceiling but running your ceiling fan in reverse can redistribute that air.
- Change your air filter regularly. A dirty air filter can cause your HVAC system to work harder and consume more energy. Flat filters should be replaced monthly, while pleated filters can last for up to three months. A good rule of thumb is to replace yours whenever you can’t see light through it.
- Request a home energy audit. Many utility companies offer this service for free and will give you ideas on how you can improve your home’s energy efficiency. Some of these ideas may include adding LED bulbs, sealing leaks and inspecting insulation.
- Add more attic insulation. Most homes don’t have adequate attic insulation, which helps control indoor temperatures and reduce heat loss. Southern climates should have 13”–14”, while northern climates should have 16”–18”.
Keep Your Home Comfortable with Shutters from Louver Shop of Jackson
Plantation shutters aren’t just a wise choice for cold weather. They can also keep you cooler during the summer and reduce your air conditioning bills. At Louver Shop of Jackson, we’ve been specializing in making homes like yours gorgeous and energy efficient since [[year]]. To find out more about how plantation shutters can keep you comfortable, call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule a free, in-home consultation.